Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Feeding Gladys

Although the World Health Organisation recommends that we should only start to wean babies when they are 6 months old, I started introducing semi-solids to Gladys when she's 5 months old.

Signs that drove me nuts:
Her eyes follow food from my hand to my mouth;
She makes 'chewing' movements when she sees me eat;
She wails when she doesn't get to taste it;
She loses interest in milk; and most importantly
She didn't gain much weight.

My dear MIL is convinced that I'm starving my baby. My mum insisted that it's high time to give my baby some food.

Argghhhh..

Ok, maybe I should listen to the folks for once.

I gave Gladys 'safer' food like baby rice cereal, pumpkin, sweet potato, and avocado.

In case you're thinking I'm over feeding her, not to worry. I'm just testing if she's accepting food well. During the introduction period, it is more like a snack then a real feed.

I'm glad she enjoys her food, well, except the baby jar of berries. I think she hates it coz she gave me that yucky face. I tasted it myself and immediately hated it too. So sour! Maybe she's just like me. Hates sour food.

Well, anyway, by 6 months, I started to substitute 2 milk feeds with baby cereal. But I'll mix it with formula milk so that she's not losing much on the nutrients.

To my surprise, she'll always finish her cereal by not for her milk. How?

By 6.5 months, I started giving her home-cooked porridge. Not any ordinary porridge, but one made with wholesome mummy's love.

The porridge was cooked in slow cooker for at least 4 hours to make sure that it's really 'broken'. I prepared the vege and fish separately because I didn't want them to lose their nutients from over cooking.

1st was porridge with spinach and threadfin.


Then I tried porridge with carrots and threadfin.


She seems to be ok with the food that I gave her, except that with the carrots, I could see the carrot bits in her poo. Quite yucky leh.

Getting really excited before her feed.


Relaxed and sipping from her cup after a meal.


She's also quite greedy, you know. Always demanding snacks. I'll give her a piece of teething rusk and she'll be happily chomping away.


Btw, by 6.5 months, she has a total of 4 teeth! A pleasant surprise for me! But quite funny coz instead of the usual upper centre, out comes the upper side ones. Maybe she wanna be a munchkin vampress for Halloween!

No comments: