Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Saturday, August 04, 2007

The Day She Was Born

Baby Gladys was born on 28th March 2007 at Mount Alvernia Hospital.

Actually, I had opted for a scheduled caesarean on 4th April 2007 when she's at 38 weeks gestation because I was getting so huge, I feel clumpsy. Imaging gaining 28 kgs! Not to mention that I had countless stretch marks on my massive tummy.

But she was so excited in coming to this world that she came exactly 1 week earlier, at 37 weeks gestation.

Imagine my horror! The reason why I chose to have a c-sect is partly because I was afraid of what's coming my way. I hate to think about going through labour: the long hours, the pain, the stress, etc.

In fact, my mucus plug dislodged on 27th March 2007. I was horrified when I feel a whole clump of jelly coming out from me. I thought that was it! But, after waiting awhile, there was nothing.

Early 28th March 2007, at about 2am, I was trying hard to fall asleep because you know with such a big tummy, it's really hard to even toss or turn, when suddenly, I heard a 'pop' inside me and I felt the dribbles. I dashed to the toilet and thought I peed but that's actually my water bag bursting.

I tell you, I seriously freaked out big time. I don't know what to do and I had to call my mum. She said that since I didn't feel any contractions yet, it's no use going to the hospital yet because they will make you wait there anyway. So I decided to just wait and see.

At about 7am, I felt it. Slight contractions spaced wide apart. Not too bad, so I decided to have a shower first. By the time I came out from the bathroom, I knew it was time to rush to the hospital.

Before I stepped out of the house, I had a cup of hot cereal. Bad idea.

During the car ride to the hospital, I had such bad contractions that I had to be wheeled to the labour ward! I can barely stand. It is a horrible, horrible feeling. You feel so helpless but yet there's really nothing much you can do but to wait till the time comes.

And since I went through all these, I thought I could just give a shot at giving birth naturally. But my worst nightmare came when my gynae came to check me. It was already 2 hours and she said I'm only 2 cm dilated. By the way, if you don't already know, the mother has to be 10 cm dilated before even try pushing the baby out.

My gynae told me I will have to take probably another 10 hours to be fully dilated. OH MY GOD! Help me! "I need my epidural!", I said. Shortly after, I was given the shot and it really relieved me.

It is quite boring lying there partially numbed. So I think I better go under the knife to speed up the process. Anyway, this was what I had always wanted. I still cannot imagine giving birth naturally.

But I had that cup of cereal and you're supposed to be empty stomach before an operation. So I had to wait till noon before they can start the procedure.

I was so nervous while waiting to be wheeled to the operating theathre, I was shivering. Maybe it's the air-con. I don't know.

Although I was partially numbed, I can still manage to crawl onto the operating table by myself, when the nurses asked me if I can do it. I pitied them because how can 2 tiny women manage a 78 kg me?

Shortly after, my gynae came in. She asked if I was ok. I was already getting drowsy. She said I'll be able to see my baby in 10 minutes. I didn't believe her. So soon?

All this while, Eric was beside me. He told me my water bag is so full of fluid and stuff like that. Nothing encouraging. He was so amazed by me being cut up, he was dumb found.

Anyway, in a short moment, my gynae announced that my baby was born and I heard her wails! I was so overwhelmed I feel like crying hard. I mean, I'm a mummy and that's my baby?!

She was brought to me and I gave her a peck on her cheeks before she had to be examined and cleaned. She's the most lovable creature I've ever seen. Imagine a mini me!

Ah, I felt my life so accomplished. Never had I felt like this before.

That's my baby when she was brought into the nursery. Isn't she the sweetest thing?

No comments: