Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Wost Day of my Life!

Today, my world almost collapsed.

I've always taken things for granted. I've taken Gladys for granted.

We had a jam-packed weekend and both of us enjoyed ourselves. Saturday, we met the forum mummies for a pre-mothers' day buffet lunch. She was a little warm to the touch during the late afternoon and I thought it was the weather.

Sunday, we attended the trial class at Julia Gabriel's at Forum. She was her usual self, cheeky and active. She didn't want her milk and I thought coz she was too excited with the activities.

However, Sunday night, she developed fever. I gave her some medication. Monday, she seems ok but at night, the fever came back again. I got worried when it almost hit 39 degrees. She became quiet and sleepy, so unlike her usual self.

She's always good at eating but she lost interest in food. I thought she must be going through some teething discomfort coz her gums are quite swollen.

Yesterday, she's ok again and was active as before. But still, she has no appetite for food. In fact, she vomited half-way through her dinner at 7pm. She also has some spots on her tummy and back and I assume they are heat rash as her limbs and face are ok.

She vomited again at 11pm, and again at 2am this morning. I gave her medicine for vomitting and also something for the gas or wind and she slept through till I thought she could be hungry and gave her a milk feed at 5am but she only took half of it and again when I fed her at 12 noon.

I had a dental appointment to collect my new set of retainers at 2pm and a gynae appointment to have my pap smear done at 3.30pm at Mt Alvernia, so I thought I could at the same time bring Gladys to see a doctor.

Gladys vomited again at 3pm and all that came out was just plain liquid and it was quite smelly and also the rashes sort of redden and it was then that I got really worried.

But the time I was done at my gynae, it was quite late and I thought Dr Terence Tan's clinic will be really packed and I didn't wanna wait. So I brought her to the A&E instead.

The doctor on duty said that it is actually very dangerous for a baby to be losing liquid and yet, not replenishing it. I know, but whatever goes in, comes out. I panicked.

The doctor also advised that Gladys be admitted for a day to be monitored and also to be put on a drip. Gosh, my world almost collasped.

He also advised that I contact my paediatrician for his opinion, and the hospital contacted Dr Terence Tan on my behalf. I was told that he'll be with us in 30 mins.

Tell you, this 30 mins is the longest wait. I was feeling extremely depressed by then.

But the 30 mins turned into 1 hour coz Dr Tan has an emergency to attend to. But when I saw him, I was so happy coz I know he can save Gladys.

As usual, Dr Tan was very patient and gave us a detailed analysis on her condition.

Gladys had 'fake measles'. It is that bad.

But actually it wasn't that serious. Just that the dehydration part is a bit dangerous, especially for a baby.

The symtoms of fake measles is that there will be a fever for 2 to 3 days. After the fever subsides, there will be red spots appearing.

But how to explain about the vomiting?

Gladys is unlucky coz she also caught some viral infection. I'm not sure where she got it from. But it explains the vomiting and watery stools.

She was also given a pill, to be stuff up her butt. My heart broke when she cried so hard. But at least, she seemed to be feeling better now although her appetite did not improve.

We were given medication and to monitor her for tonight. If her condition doesn't get better tomorrow, we may really have to admit her at the hospital.

Back home, she didn't eat anything except small pieces of plain bread. That's all she's willing to eat, not even her favourite Gerber puffs. I also gave her Pedialyte to replenish her fluids.

Now, she's sleeping so peacefully. I know she must be really tired. I can't imagine such a tiny body battering such awful bugs.

I'm so tired now coz I didn't rest well for days but I just can't sleep. You know, the feeling when your heart just felt so heavy?

I just hope tomorrow, she'll wake up feeling better.

God, bless my baby.

PS: Actually, I really feel so fortunate to have her as my daughter. Like today, despite being unwell, she still manages to charm those nurses at the dental clinic and gynae clinic. Her 'hello', 'bye bye' and flying kisses are so sweet. I even got a free Gerber goodie bag coz of that.

Actually, some are still doubtful of her gender at this stage. Ok, maybe she's not the cutesy princess type but you can't blame her for looking like her daddy mah. But still, she's the one and only, apple of my eye.

3 comments:

isabelle foo said...

hugz to lil' gladys. i understood how u feel. lil' isabelle admitted for 2 days due to viral infection & extremely poor feeding. doc dripped on her. it was very saddening to see the needle poked on her. she cried for help. but i was so hopeless. lil gladys will be fine. god blessed! p/s: mama gene gotta take care too.

Mummy Gene & Baby Gladys said...

Gosh, this viral infection is really going around. I hope Isabelle is well now. You do take care too and keep in touch ya!

jjloo said...

Hope Gladys get well soon..It's ok that she is not eating that much now, at least she is well...

Take care, both of you